UC Merced’s General Education program engages students with the values, practices and contributions of a research university which provides a framework for integrative learning. We do so in the context of the culturally and economically diverse Central Valley. In tandem with the major and the co-curriculum, General Education supports student development of the Hallmarks of the Baccalaureate degree. It nurtures the spirit of critical inquiry, building students’ knowledge of various fields, cultures, and perspectives. General education fosters collaboration, communication, and ethical action. It empowers students to share their learning and skills to address the local and global challenges of an interconnected, changing world.
Throughout a student's time at UC Merced they will earn 11 different Intellectual Experience Badges. These required Badges can be achieved in courses, including required Quantitative Reasoning, Language, Crossroads, Writing in the Discipline, and Culminating Experience General Education courses. They can also be achieved in Approaches to Knowledge courses, courses in the major, minor and elective courses. In addition, these Intellectual Experience Badges can be fulfilled in the co-curriculum.
Divisional Academic Programs & GE Badges
By participating in one of our summer programs, scholars are eligible for the following badges:
- Scientific Method - Learn how the scientific method leads to new knowledge about the natural world by correcting and integrating previous knowledge using empirical evidence.
- Literary and Texual Analysis - Learn how language creates meaning and ambiguity.
- Media and Visual Analysis - Explore how media and images create, shape, and express meaning.
- Quantitative and Numerical Analysis - Evaluate data and develop quantitative reasoning skills.
- Practical and Applied Knowledge - Carry out fieldwork, laboratory experimentation, or artistic practice.
- Ethics - Investigate the ethical implications of research, policy, or behavior.
For more information about UC Merced's General Education Badges, please visit https://ge.ucmerced.edu/intellectual-experience-badges
Divisional Academic Support
The Bobcat Advising Center (BAC) will serves as the advising home for first year and undeclared students and launched in Fall 2018 with 8 staff advisors and one Director. Professional advising staff provide holistic, development advising through mandatory advising interventions.
The Chem Center is dedicated to provide free tutoring and support services to all UC Merced undergraduates who have chemistry-related questions.
The Math Center is a dedicated resource for learning mathematics. Some of our services: An inclusive learning environment, Support for all undergraduate math courses, Develop problem solving skills, Receive assistance from graduate students, trained undergraduate students, and instructors.
The University Writing Center offers one-on-one consultations and workshops for undergraduates from all majors, providing feedback and resources for students throughout the writing process—from pre-writing to final drafting.